What Is Individual Therapy?
What Problems Can iIdividual Therapy Help To Deal With?
Individual therapy can be used to alleviate a range of different problems that an individual may be struggling with. Some of these include:
- Medical illness
- Relationship problems
- Negative emotions
- Mental health problems
- Long-term physical health problems
It’s important to note that individual therapy does not have to be a last resort. Instead, it can be used at any point in your life, irrespective of the scale of the issue.
Like many other therapies, one-to-one therapy is an effective tool as it helps people worldwide understand themselves. It additionally gives a greater sense of clarity.
What Are the Different Types of Individual Therapy?
Some of the most common forms of individual therapy include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) - Focusing on current issues rather than issues from the past, CBT encourages those in recovery to change the way they think gradually. Doing so enables them to develop healthy and practical coping strategies.
- Psychoanalysis - This therapy concentrates on exploring deep-rooted, subconscious thoughts and issues from childhood.
- Arts or creative therapies - These therapies employ creative means to help those in recovery explore and communicate any thoughts and feelings they experience. Typically, art and creative therapies include art, drama, music, and movement.
Irrespective of the type of individual therapy employed, expected aims and outcomes include:
- Greater awareness of oneself
- The ability to untangle and understand thoughts and feelings encountered
- Development of coping strategies that can be utilized throughout the recovery process
- Identification of unhelpful thinking patterns
In addition to the above, individual therapy ensures that those in recovery have a safe, non-judgmental space in which they can talk openly and freely with a professional.
How Can I Maximize the Benefits of Individual Therapy?
Before commencing individual therapy, it is entirely normal to question how the benefits of therapy can be maximized.
Below, we have shared just a few tips:
- Be as open and honest as possible - As you complete individual therapy, it is important to be as open and honest as possible. Being open-minded will provide you with greater space to explore your feelings.
- Develop a connection with the therapist - The therapeutic alliance, meaning the relationship between the client and the therapist, is extremely important when considering the effectiveness of individual therapy. If the quality of the relationship is not up to standard, it may be challenging to take advantage of the benefits that individual therapy provides.
- Set goals - Setting goals in therapy can be hugely beneficial. By setting goals, you will constantly have something to work towards. You will also be able to ensure that you get the most out of your therapy sessions.
- Be your most authentic self - Don’t worry about being polite or holding your thoughts or emotions back. Therapy is a safe space in which you can explore your deepest thoughts and feelings without judgment.
Why Choose Empowered Recovery?
What is more, we offer one year of free aftercare support to each person that completes one of our treatment programs. Boasting coaching and continued therapy, our aftercare support maximizes recovery potential and ensures that ongoing support can be sought as and when needed.
Here at Empowered Recovery, we will help you build self-confidence and develop life skills that will leave you feeling prepared to face life again. We will also give you the practical tools you need to achieve a happy, healthy, and sustainable recovery.
Our team’s values are compassion, integrity, honesty, and accountability, making us a great choice to accompany you on your healing journey.